Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dairy

One thing that has happened while on this 30 day paleo challenge is that I am learning a lot about healthy eating. My youngest son Kingston will be turning two in May and for his whole life I have wondered if he has had a food allergy especially to dairy. When he was much younger I talked to our family doctor about my concerns and he dismissed all of them, afterward I felt that there was little I could do and even that the doctor was right and I was wrong. Well, I shouldn't have listened to him! 

My kids have been almost completely off of dairy for the past three weeks. There hasn't been any trace of cold cereal eating, no cheese, hardly any ice cream, and very little yogurt in our house since I started this. I will allow my older boys to have their favorite organic brown cow yogurts every now and then but that is it. Kingston has been off of dairy this whole time and I have seen such a difference! Before the change he was going poo sometimes up to 5 times a day and it was always diarrhea. Kingston's little bum was always red and would even crack and bleed. Now he has one poo a day and his bum is actually normal! A few times Kingston has taken a couple bites of the boys' yogurt and almost instantly his diarrhea comes back.  I remember when he was a newborn and he had the most severe diaper rash ever, I was sure it was from an allergy but my doctor would not agree. I feel horrible that it has taken me this long to finally eliminate what has been hurting his little body...ugh! At least now I know better. Making a warm breakfast every day for my boys is a lot more work than a bowl of cold cereal but I feel so good knowing that their bodies are being filled with healthy food...no more dairy! 

1 comment:

  1. I remember our family doctor telling me there was NEVER any correlation between skin issues (eczema, chronic diaper rash, etc) and food allergies when Keira was a toddler. Yeah. Right.

    Shows that often we know our own bodies-and as mothers we sometimes know our kids' bodies-better than a doctor :)

    ReplyDelete